Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What's for Dinner Mexican Chicken Stew (?)

Do you ever have those nights where you have no idea what to make for dinner?  Those are most nights in our house!  It happens to us from time to time.  We'll take meat out of the freezer in the morning to defrost and then realize, at 6:30, that there's nothing to really go with that chicken that we now have defrosted.  The other night was one of those nights.  I had defrosted chicken and nothing else really!  I scoured the fridge, freezer and pantry and came up with this meal.  It was delicious and I actually made it again since on purpose!

Mexican Chicken Stew

1 lb chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite sized pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 can beans (I used kidney), drained and rinsed
spinach (about a cup fresh or 1 package frozen)
1 packet taco seasoning
olive oil
water
cilantro (I have these frozen cubes that are awesome!)

Saute chicken in a little olive oil.  Remove from pan.  Saute onion, carrots and garlic over medium high heat until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes, beans, taco seasoning and water according to directions on packet of seasoning.  Return the chicken to the pan and bring to a boil for 3-5 minutes.  Throw in some spinach and cilantro, reduce heat and cover.  Let simmer until spinach has wilted or defrosted (?).

We ate this over brown rice with a little dollop of Daisy, aka sour cream.  The second time I made it, I didn't have any diced tomatoes but I did have a jalapeno, so I diced that up and sauteed it with the onion, carrots and garlic.  If you like things more soupy, add some more liquid (water, chicken broth, etc).

I don't have a picture because it really doesn't photograph well...and we ate it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment